Wednesday, July 27, 2011

In Living Color

Earlier this week I met with a doctor for the first time, and shortly into the visit he started to ask me the general, I’ve heard them a million times, questions. So, to speed things up, in a very efficient, matter-of-fact way, I gave him the run-down of my life. I guess you could say I felt accomplished as I rattled off the details of my life. But in the end, it was strange, or at least, I feel strangely about it.

This got me thinking and here's what I've come up with:

Sometimes the chronology of my life surprises me, but I wouldn’t change it, even if I could. However, I don’t like to be limited to the black and white of the spoken word, or in this case, the ink on my medical chart. Yes, those things undoubtedly contribute to who I am, but they do not fully explain me.

I decidedly will not be limited to a list of characteristics, or events for that matter; however, I will end with one of my favorite, true, black and white statements about me: I’m a survivor.

No comments:

Post a Comment