Wednesday, July 27, 2011

I'm Bloody Right-handed!

You know how you never fully appreciate something until it’s gone?

Let me testify:

Yesterday I went on a bike ride along the boardwalk from about 30th street in Newport Beach to Balboa. It was great, as imagined. The only thing I would change about the adventure was when I found a porch wall and lost the better part of my right middle fingernail, rendering my right hand temporarily useless. Arguably not one of my brighter moments, but proudly, one of my braver moments - the person I was riding with didn’t even stop (didn't need to) and had no idea how bad my finger was until we got home and I sheepishly asked for a band-aid.

I never realized how right-handed I really am. You know those people who are kind of naturally ambidextrous? Yeah. I’m not one of them. I’m bloody right-handed, both literally and emphatically right now. This whole not really being able to use my right hand is not okay with me. This fingernail better not take the year to heal that some sources say it will.

Let’s defy the odds, or at least the bandages.

No comments:

Post a Comment