Thursday, June 2, 2011

Really?

I have grown up with people spelling my name wrong. Strangely enough, it’s happened to me more as an adult than as a child, but regardless, it’s never been a foreign concept to me. And while the concept is not inconceivable* to me, it still manages to take me by surprise sometimes.

Take facebook for example. Someone wrote me a love note on my wall, and spelled my name wrong. Yeah, I definitely had to look twice. It was recognizable, but blatantly spelled wrong. So I figure either it’s some inside joke/nickname that I have absolutely no recollection of, or it was written in a hurry while juggling/balancing on a tight rope/multi-tasking like crazy. Let’s give him/her the benefit of the doubt, shall we?

Another one that gets me – when people email me and spell my name wrong. My email address is my name. Essentially they are one in the same. So how can you successfully send me an email (remain oblivious to that spelling red flag) and proceed to spell my name wrong in the body of the email? It boggles the mind.

* p.s. I dare you to think of the word ‘inconceivable’ and not think of Vizzini in “Princess Bride”.

No comments:

Post a Comment