Sunday, May 26, 2013

Lindsey Muir, M.S., CF-SLP


So I graduated with my master’s degree. Yeah. Kind of a big deal. Now I really have to be a grown-up. I am done with school - at least in my foreseeable future, seeing as the thought of a Ph.D. (read “dissertation”) makes me want to cry. I would be lying if I said this prospect didn’t scare me at the beginning of my last semester, because it absolutely did. But I’ll say good-bye to the life I’ve known for the past 18 years (that of a student) and grow up, or at least pretend to. That’s surreal. It’s also terribly exciting, but don’t forget the surreal part. 

The past two years have taught me a lot. Yes, the classes have been educational, but life has been even more instructive. Here are some of the things Grad School has taught me:

-       Sometimes growing up just plain sucks, but there is a method to the madness. At least some of the time.
-       Pretty sure that now I certifiably have Movie ADD. I love movies, but I’ve arguably perfected the art of multi-tasking and have practiced mostly while “watching” movies for the past two years. Now if I sit down to watch a movie I feel like I have to be doing something else while I watch it. I’m excited and anxious to break this habit.
-       I believe in skimming. Abstracts are my best friend. Oh yes. You may be tempted to do that with this post and by all means, I won’t stop you. Skim on.
-       People matter.
-       I hate Walmart. Love Pizza, but hate Walmart.
-       Parents have this strange way of getting smarter as you/they age.

2 comments:

  1. Linds, man oh man I know what you mean. I would rather drill nails into my eyeballs than go on to get a PhD. And that isn't even that much of an exaggeration. CONGRATS on graduating officially!

    Ps Where are you going to be this summer? We'll be in Irvine for a week or so mid-July. I'd love to see you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So glad we're on the same page! And thank you! As for my Irvine summer plans, they're totally up in the air right now, but I hopefully will be able to make a trip down when you're there so I can see you and meet Dane! I'll keep you posted.

    ReplyDelete